Saturday, November 18, 2017

Thing 10: Networking Tools

It’s been an intense few weeks grappling with another MOOC. (See my #Rudaí23 #Thing10 tweet: I’m using Tableau Public for the first time--enough said!) I opted to take the easy way out for this Thing. Delving into Facebook will have to wait.

I just started using Twitter in June, with no more specific aim than establishing some kind of presence on social media this year. As a result, I’ve let my account (@oponiak) evolve into a mix of the personal and the professional. However, I do my best not to mention my place of work by name and I’ve included a disclaimer in my profile. My workplace (not just the library, but also the university as a whole) is extremely concerned about “message”--both content and presentation--so I need to make clear that I don’t represent the organization.

Using Google, I searched for site:twitter.com “public list” libraries. Much to my surprise, ALA, my national library organization, appeared on the second page of results. I also searched for site:twitter.com “public list” sla, as I’m considerably more active in the Special Libraries Association. I followed the lists for both organizations.

At this time of year, many SLA units have networking meetings and those announcements are filling the feed. The ALA feed includes a lot of content from the YALSA (young adult) and AASL (school librarian) units. As an academic librarian, sometimes I forget there’s a significant contingent of the profession engaged in youth services.

Much to my surprise, there are also a number of personal accounts included in the ALA list: people who are ALA employees and people who are (or were) officers in various units. Many of their accounts are hybrids, like mine, including personal tweets. I may consider adding a couple of ALA units to those I already follow, but I will probably drop the list as a whole. Other tweeters I already follow provide plenty of political posts and social commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment